OUR GUIDE TO SKINCARE INGREDIENTS: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TURMERIC
In this series , we will take a closer look at “cult” skincare ingredients. In this article , we are tackling turmeric. Turmeric is one of the most used ingredients in do it yourself (DIY) recipes for skin. So, we will be answering 3 top questions about turmeric :
-What is it?
-Why does it matter?
-How should you use it?
WHAT IS TURMERIC ?
Turmeric is the underground stem of the Curcuma Longa, a plant from the ginger family.It is also called curcuma or Indian Saffron . According to research, turmeric started being used over 4000 years ago in Southeast Asia as a culinary spice and for its medicinal properties. It contains a chemical called “curcumin” which is one the source of its medicinal properties. Turmeric is considered the “universal healer” in ayurvedic medicine because it has proven its efficiency with issues from respiratory to digestive.
WHY DOES IT MATTER?
Now that we know a little about turmeric , let's discover the benefits of this golden powder for the skin. Turmeric is known to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatories properties. It can help with:
- hyperpigmentation and redness : the anti-inflammatory properties will help reduce dark spots and balance the skin’s complexion as the curcumin is known as a natural skin lightening agent.
- acne : the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties will cleanse the pores from acne causing bacteria.
- heal wounds : anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties will help clean the wound and boost the collagen production causing the wound to heal faster with little scarring.
- slowing down the early signs of aging : the curcumin in turmeric is a powerful antioxidant which helps fight free radicals and protect the skin cells.
HOW CAN YOU ADD TURMERIC TO YOUR SKINCARE AND WELLNESS ROUTINE?
The easiest way to add turmeric to your skincare routine is by making a DYI face mask. This will help you get the best result for the skin. It will leave your skin with a natural glow and help remove dark spots and in the fight against free radicals which are one of the causes of wrinkles and fine lines.
Here is our favorite turmeric face mask recipe :
½ tablespoon of turmeric powder
½ tablespoon of kaolin clay powder
½ tablespoon of honey
Mix all your ingredients in a small bowl to make paste. Apply it on your face. Leave it on for 15 min to 20 minutes. Remove with wet cloth and apply the rest of your skincare routine (toner, serum, moisturizer and sunscreen)
Even though it is an at home recipe, don’t forget to start with a patch patch test ( apply a small amount to your skin ( on your arm or thigh) to test for an allergic reaction before using it on your face).
If you have not heard about kaolin clay check our article called :AFRICAN BEAUTY SECRETS YOU SHOULD KNOW : KAOLIN CLAY.
You can also get the benefits of turmeric on your overall wellness by making a turmeric tea. Here is our favorite homemade tea recipe :
- Boil 3 cups of water
- Add two teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Squeeze a lemon in a cup
- Add the boiled turmeric water into the cup containing the freshly squeezed lemon
- Add some honey for a bit of sweetness
And enjoy :)
Have you ever tried to add turmeric in skincare? Let us know if you try one of the recipes.
Disclaimer: This article does not constitute a dermatologist or medical advice.
Photo by Delphine Hourlay from Pexels